Thursday, December 08, 2005

stutter-shook and uptight

Colourblind by Counting Crows.

The first time I heard it was when I watched Cruel Intentions at a sleepover and I didn't pay much attention to it because, let's face it, Ryan Philippe was getting naked at the time.

In GCSE music when they abandoned us to do work in the practice rooms, Sue White would sit and play this song over and over on the baby grand piano. I watched over her shoulder until I memorised it and played it at home, but I didn't know the words. I don't do that anymore.

Then, years later, someone kissed me to this song. In between those instances, between seeing the film and listening to Sue and being kissed, I've listened to it an awful lot. And it's never a good thing. It's the one I play when I'm not sure how I feel, or when I know exactly how I feel but I'm not sure how to deal with it.

Like when my nan died this time last year, or the last time I went to the doctor's, or at the end of summer, or at college when I used to fall asleep in lessons because I'd lain awake with this song in my headphones until the small hours. It's never a good thing.

There's better memories attached to it. I could think of Sue singing it, and how incredible her voice was, and how we'd sit and arse around for hours playing on the grand. I could think of learning to play it on the piano my parents got the year I was born, in my conservatory at home. I could think of hearing it in the car on roadtrips to Dorset, and remember how sunny it was and how we all shut up to listen to it. I could think of that first kiss and the exact point in the song at which it happened. There's really no reason for this song to be my sad song anymore.

But it still is.

1 Comments:

At 12:37 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Girl. I had a thought/theory so I thought I'd share it.
And that is that Emothions are stronger than memories and logic, and music has a scary ability to stir emotions in people. I think that Colourblind is a very thoughtfull song makes you think too much (always a bad thing)and you dwell on bad stuff. That maybe why you listened to it so much in those days cos it fitted your mood so well and suited how you were already feeling. I don't think its the memory of those days that gets you down when you hear that song, rather its the fact that it stirs up the same emotions in you. So basically it won't matter how many ncie random things happen while listening to it, it will still stir up the same emotions cos its that kind of song... doesn't matter how good the kiss was. In short, I belive music is powerful stuff just beacuse it can sway a persons emotions so much. It will always be your sad song. But that's just my random theory ;-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home