Sunday, February 05, 2006

the edge of scary

Getting scared for the first time in a while.

Walking through Windsor Great Park in the afternoon and there's this dog, Alsatian type dog, the kind that looks enough like a wolf to put me quite nicely on edge. I don't like dogs. I really don't like this kind of dog.

Getting lost in Windsor Great Park, accepting a lift, the two of us, from a complete stranger. It's not the man driving that scares me, but the dog in the back of the car that I don't see until I'm sat down, strapped in and we're driving away. Same kind of dog. This man whose car I'm in could be any kind of psycho; the dog scares me.

Back on campus, Rachel calls to warn me that there was another attack last night, that the guy with the hammer got a girl on campus. On campus? As in, right here?

Talking to security guards, the rumour mill is spinning. A girl got grabbed on Wednesday, yeah, but she got away fine before anything could happen to her. Outside her halls, the bit of grass between Reid and the Geology department... We're thinking, here, these are our halls, this is our campus, and there's this geezer with a hammer... Now it's getting personal.

Getting back from the union, walked home by security, locking my door behind me with real intent. Now there's something to be afraid of, it's getting scary for the first time, there's some guy out there and there's these girls walking round, too drunk to speak, tits and arses hanging out, wandering on their own, waiting for a man to care for them.

Scary indeed, more ways than one.

4 Comments:

At 8:12 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's always something to be afraid of. Admittedly most things aren't as personal as this. Do you think the chances of something happening to you in relation to this gentleman are greater or smaller then the chances of you being seriously injured in a car accident?

 
At 12:28 pm , Blogger Fi said...

probably much smaller. but i have little or no control over what happens to me when i'm sitting in a car - i don't drive, i just sit there and let it happen.

getting jumped on the way home from the union is, theoretically, something i can prevent by being sensible about where i go and who with. i think the chances are much smaller, this is just scarier because it's something that's always in the back of your mind when you're a girl on campus. i don't worry that much about car crashes because they're out of my hands.

 
At 3:17 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

tbh marra i find the stuff u can't control even scarier. maybe because i'm a weird control freak. maybe.
Esther Yes

 
At 5:07 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

me too. it's when I don't have control that I freak out. I used to inline skate and would happily get do dangerous stuff regularly without any worries because I knew i had full control. i can't go on roller coasters because i'm totally out of control.

I think it's more the normalising of cars that makes me not worry about them. plus because i find use for them very often it's not in my own interest to see the downsides and change the way I act accordingly.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home