Monday, January 31, 2005

the jesus army play some choons

Now this made me smile. Apparently fresh and funky Christians have been infiltrating the music scene while no one was looking. Nice one.

It bugs me though. I know they don't want to isolate their audiences by singing religious lyrics, but I love it when I get an album and then realise the singer's a Christian. Even better when you can see it in the lyrics. Like Sister Hazel, or Zwan (unless they were being ironic... I wouldn't know). I reckon the Stacie Orrico approach is best: "I know, I'll trick them into buying my album by releasing songs about boys and the meaning of life and then BAM, God songs in yo face!". Nice one. If she could have done that without also doing: "I know, I'll release funky pop rock songs to trick Fi into buying an album that's actually weird RnB and not as fun as she thought it would be." Natasha Bedingfield did that too (another closet Christian, woohoo!). Honestly, can't a girl indulge her shameful taste in girly funky pop/rock without being peppered with silly bits of gangsta hipping tripping.. rhyddim.. stuff? Maybe it's a Christian thing. You'd thing ladies of the lord would have better musical taste. Sigh.

Speaking of bringing Christianity to the masses (yeah, because that's exactly what I was talking about. Worst. Segue. Evar.), the Christian Union at college have started a teaser campaign. For a couple of weeks, the hallways have been decorated with little fluorescent signs with question marks on them, like on the video for Where is the Love. Last week, the question marks were joined by little explanations, small enough that people had to peer to read them. "The College Christian Union are running a series of talks on the reality of God..."
Niiiiiice. I didn't go along to the first talk, I have yet to see if the sneaky advertising worked. Maybe our college is on the brink of a spiritual revolution?

"Yeah, but aren't Christians all gay-hating fascists anyway?"
"What would Jesus do? Jesus would shut the hell up and let me talk."
"I don't mind Christians, it's those psychotic Jesus army, we wanna change the world types that get on my tits."
"You felt the holy spirit? No, dear, that was the wine."

Maybe not. Not yet, anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home