Saturday, April 16, 2005

rip - the monstrosity

I should be telling you all about the Trade Justice rally I went to last night (and this morning), but as a result of staying up all night wandering around Whitehall and waving a placard, I'm far too exhausted.

Instead, I'd like to take a moment to bring some sad news to my very special portion of the interweb. My trusty pink hat (nicknamed 'the monstrosity') passed away at dawn this morning. The hat, a gift from a friend, was well loved by both friends and family. It had many adventures. It's been across the country with me, to Belgium with me. It's been headwear, a teddy bear, a thing to keep other things in, but most importantly - it's been my friend.

Alas, good things must come to an end. The hat left this world at the peak of its existence, at the most exciting event it had ever attended, sitting on the prettiest head it had ever graced (Emilie's, not mine). It was with us as we protested outside Whitehall, it sat in the cinema with us and watched campaign footage, it was my pillow as I was lying on the grass in Parliament square.

This morning, at dawn, my hat ended up in the Thames. I don't know how, I don't know why, but I was informed by a stunned Emilie that it has, in fact, fallen to a watery grave. It died as it lived - with flamboyance, hilarity and a large amount of confusion.

It has gone to a better place.

Black bands of mourning will be worn on Monday. Counselling is available, please enquire on the 'comments' section of this post. A book of condolences will be open in the Church from Monday to Friday this week.

P.S - Emilie, there was this guy in the procession wearing a penguin hat: if you're gonna insist on buying a replacement, could you get me one like that?

P.P.S - Or one with two beer cans and a straw, like we were talking about on Friday.

P.P.P.S - Or a tophat!

P.P.P.P.S - Any money says my old hat is up there in heaven, giving me the middle finger.

4 Comments:

At 1:21 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emilie was really upset, you know. She thought you would eat her or something, because you looked kind of irritated when we didn't stay for the morning march thingy.

 
At 7:58 pm , Blogger Fi said...

i wasn't annoyed that you left, i was just a bit annoyed in general that you guys didn't seem to enjoy yourself. not at you, more that i just felt responsible because it wasn't really your thing and i assured you that it would be great... and then it wasn't really and i'd got you along just to stand in the cold all night.

i actually laughed like a drain when i got the txt about the hat, not because she was upset, just because it was so totally unexpected.

how'd it happen anyway?

 
At 10:35 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I had a really good time. It's true that Trade Justice isn't my thing, but you know I'm not the random yelling type unless I really believe in it (you wait until Gay Pride week). I don't regret the experience, just the fact that I didn't bring gloves.

As for the hat, well, the wind just got the better of it. Flip flop, flip flop, off the rickety bridge. I believe Emilie has posted about it on her LJ. Here's the link: www.livejournal.com/users/a_reminiscence

 
At 6:50 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm an apologetic penis who will buy you the first beer can hat she can find!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home