Sunday, February 12, 2006

i said i wouldn't blog for a few days. guess what? i lied.

Before I start: I think I say this kind of thing a lot, but it's still something I'm trying to put into words. I might have expressed a couple of things quite badly... but it's cool, I'm sure you'll tell me if I have. Oh, and this is far, far too long. Sorry.

******

I've decided that no, I don't want to be labelled after all. Part of me takes comfort in repeating the words to myself: I am Fiona Kennedy, I am a first year Drama and Theatre undergraduate at Royal Holloway, University of London. I am British, I am white, I am Christian, I eat meat, I am eighteen years old. I've had three blood tests in my life and the last two I've asked to be told my blood type and been informed that I don't need to know. Why not? I ask, why shouldn't I label myself further?

I never used to. I never wanted to call myself a Christian. I spent over a year going to church, chatting to Christians on forums and discussion boards and listening to worship music, wanting more than anything to get to know God without having to stick the "I am a Christian" sign on my forehead. Religion was for sheep, and I didn't want my search for God to be tainted by association to such a corrupt and backward thing. Also, I didn't want to have to follow the rules - being a Christian meant behaving like one and I wasn't gonna be a hypocrite myself...

For me, 'becoming' a Christian was the point in my life where I stopped giving a shit about the label and decided that it was an honour, rather than a taint, to have the word 'christ' as part of my identity. I still think that. The idea of Christ is sacrifice, humility, compassion, bravery, strength and love and love and love. It's when you put ian on the end of it that it starts to mean something else.

Sadly, it's always the negative connotations I'm more aware of. These days, people hear Christianity and they don't think charity, serving, integrity and passion, they don't think the things that I want them to think when I tell them what I am.

I want to justify myself. I'm not out to ally myself with Rome, with the pope, with the crusades, with gay-bashing and illegalised abortion and 'baptised capitalism' and hypocrisy. I don't want to shelter under the wings of an institution that's served itself and stuck a middle finger up at the humanity it's been sent to love. Nuhuh. I have never wanted that. I want more than anything to draw a distinction between me and them. I want to add a footnote to my label of Christian, I want a postscript that says but I'm not hot on the pope and I'm fine with contraception and some of my best friends are gay and I actually think that Noah's ark might have been a tad metaphorical and I think Bush is quite horrendous and I know the church has got a lot to answer for but...

But
there is no postscript, right? The only footnote to calling yourself a Christian is the resultant conversation where you get to explain exactly what kind of Christian you are, and remove yourself from the less agreeable aspects of religion as you see it. Only, that explanatory conversation doesn't always come around, and, well, it's not as simple as kinds of Christian.

I've also been told that I'm a liberal. If 'liberal' means that my politics swing violently to the left and I happen to be a Christian, then, yeah, that's what I am. If by liberal you mean that I see Christ as a very nice man, the gospel as an inspirational story and the resurrection as a metaphor then no, definitely fucking not. If the fact that I believe in evangelism and speaking in tongues means that I'm charismatic and fundamentalist then yeah, fine. But if that means I'm into churches that are registered businesses, believe that George Bush is tantamount to the second coming and think pro-choice is a sign of the anti-Christ's imminent arrival then no, no, thank you.

Let's get this straight. Labels can be dangerous, they're misleading and they have a tendency to stop you from thinking. Labels can be wonderful and affirming and comforting but, yeah, when you whack them on your forehead too readily they can do nothing but divide this world into even smaller pockets of people.

Take it back to the blindingly obvious basics. What's the one thing that all these guys, the charismatics and the Catholics, the fundamentalists and baptists, the Churches of the Sacred Heart, the Immaculate Conception and the Rootin' Tootin' Church for Y'all Who Done Hate the Devil, what's the one defining feature? Oh yeah, of course. That. The bit we overlook so easily, you know, the guy who died under the label 'King of the Jews'. Ever found a church with that on its billboard?

Put like that, it seems like the only thing associating me with these churches is our most fundamental belief. There's really no reason why I should be held accountable for them... Wouldn't it be lovely to separate myself from them? To create my own denomination, the South Eastern Church of the Theologically Bewildered so that everyone would know, upon introduction, that I wasn't Catholic, or Quaker, or New Right? My own little bubble, full of my faith, that no one might associate me with those who I disagree with.

The thing is that those are my brothers and sisters, my family.

We've divided and divided like amoeba, each new 'version', Christianity 5.0, believing itself better than the last, refined and revised, the sins of the last stripped off until we're left with nothing but what we believe is central. We've travelled in different directions, stripping off the politics, the pomp and circumstance, the ugly bits, the pretty bits, the disputed bits, the traditional bits and the modern bits and what we've got now is several hundred 'pure' Christianities, each one getting straight to their own point without thought for the other couple of billion followers of Christ doing the same thing.

Why are we so ashamed to be attached to one another? Why are we, the religion that follows the man who dined with prostitutes, treating each other like lepers? Everytime we divorce ourselves, every schism and split, every distancing from the sins of each other is denying Christ three times, like Peter swore he never would. We deny each other, we deny ourselves. Whatever you did for the least of these, you did for me also...

The label I choose is the vaguest one, the most accurate one. I am a Christian, pure and simple. As in I ally myself with no denomination, and with every single one. I go to the church that suits me best and where my friends are, but the style of the service and the details of the theology don't define me. The religion I've chosen is one that asks for imperfect people, and as such its history is far from glowing. I won't even try to distance myself from it, I'm a part of it and its faults and follies are mine. But its sins aren't on my shoulders, or on any of ours - bearing the wrongs of the Christian faith was someone else's task and he did it well, he did it willingly.

In return he asked this - that we would love him, that we would stop blaming, and fighting and shirking and dividing and trying to absolve ourselves and just love each other. These other Christians, the ones that have killed and maimed in the name of Christ, those who have made religion big-business, who've beaten up gays and bombed abortion clinics, who've told teenagers in slums that condoms won't prevent the spread of aids... They are mine and I am theirs, we're bound to each other like my hands are attached to my wrists - one body, one blood, one label.

6 Comments:

At 11:39 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Labelling the world in which we live is the root of all suffering.

We build up a mental picture of our world by splitting it up into its seperate parts. We do this because we think it will help our mind make sense of everything around us.

But the world isn't this frozen picture we've constructed. Every aspect of the world is constantly changing. There is nothing but change. I am literally not the same person I was a few seconds ago. Every cell in my body has gone through a chemical change rendering it different to what it was before. My thoughts have moved on.

It's the same with the labels we put on ourselves. I could say I'm a Buddhist. But if you compare my lifestyle to that of a tibetan monk you'd be slightly confused as to what I mean.

We construct this immutable label and then when our beliefs start to pull away from it we go through huge distress as the picture of the world we've created starts to crumble. What we don't realise is that the world is nothing but constant change anyway. It's our immutable label that is casuing us unhappiness. Once you remove the label, you can focus on why you chose to be 'buddhist' or 'christian' or 'marxist'. And for the first time you can live a life immersed in those reason since there isn't a label holding you back.

xx

 
At 5:20 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really like what you've written here Fi. It is easy to want to define precisely our own kind of faith, and even easier to judge the faith of others if it differs from ours.

Thinking aloud here, doing a dangerous thing and starting a paragraph not knowing where it's going to go...

there have been many occasions when I've seen something on the TV or at churches and think "Man, it's people like you who give all the rest of us Christians a bad name." It occurred to me recently that it's not my name I need to be concerned about, but Christ's. What do we need to do about people who defame the name of Christ, if anything? Maybe this amounts to rephrasing the same question as before... or at least, leads to the same consequence of distancing yourself from any "Christian" who believes slightly different things.

I dunno what the answer is. I find myself wishing that moderate Muslims, for example, would distance themselves from the extremist elements of their faith. And sometimes I think it's right for us to do the same thing. Perhaps for different reasons though. Not so that society thinks my "brand" of Christianity is OK, but more to defend the name of Christ. Christ would not condone the bombing of abortion clinics, the murder of gays, the capitilisation of Religion. Therefore I must not condone these things that are done in His name.

Hmm. Longest comment ever. I apologise.

You've got me thinking though. Cheers. :)

 
At 5:23 pm , Blogger Phil said...

Good post Fi. It is so easy to not want to be labelled a 'Christian' as many people have so many negative stereotypes to who a Christian is. I have struggled with it here but in the end it comes down to humility even if you are labeled in a way you don't want to be. Jesus was labeled as a criminal although He hadn't done anything wrong and He became humbled for me. Now I should be able to give up at least my pride, and hopefully my life if it came down to it, for Him. See you soon.

 
At 12:13 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Fi
Wow powerful stuff. Really good post.

I believe that labels are dangerous things. It defines nothing about the decentness of the person. You can’t look at one aspect of a person and dislike them because of it (or even despise them as so many people in this world do). You have to get to know the person, especially in terms of religion, I'd be surprised if I found anyone in the world who didn't follow their religion to their own interpretation of it, due to everyone different character and it’s most probably impossible in most circumstances.

I think I’ve got far more accepting since I went to the gay club (how weird is that going to sound to people who don’t know me?!?!)

 
At 12:27 pm , Blogger Fi said...

sam, it's gonna sound weirder to people who DO know you, trust me. they must think you're right cosmopolitan back in bampton, now that you've met black people AND gay people! you're right about interpreting religion, going back to what tim said, if we're not even the same from one second to the next, our versions of religion our constantly shifting anyway.

rich, i've thought the same thing about moderate islam, that it should condemn extremists... i guess it's the line between condemning their actions and divorcing yourselves from them. to say, i don't agree with you, i think you're well out and that you're actually misrepresenting our faith but nonetheless you're still my brother - is that possible??

"We construct this immutable label and then when our beliefs start to pull away from it we go through huge distress as the picture of the world we've created starts to crumble." - tim, one of these days i'm actually going to start to digest your words of wisdom and i think when i do it'll have a pretty profound affect. i'm just too fond of making pictures of the world i guess :)

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

(phil, you don't get a comment because i'm seeing you on wednesday!)

 
At 5:15 pm , Blogger becci brown said...

we should all just be who we are. And not be ashamed of it! We follow Christ. If ya check out 1Corinthians 1:18 onwards...the message of the cross does seem foolish to those who aren't following Jesus. That's ok.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home