Monday, May 16, 2005

i am not but i know i am

I am so tired. I can't sleep and I am so tired. I am so nauseous, I am spinning, my head is spinning.

I am Joe's pulsing headache.

I am nothing but a pair of headphones with a pulse.

I am so worthless.

I am in love, completely utterly, with so many things. With learning, with talking, with writing, with knowing stuff and becoming wise. With God and with myself, with every single person around me. With words, quotes, books, songs, places and several teachers. Countless guys. What the hell am I?

I am weak and feeble, I am strong, but not strong enough. I am everything I know about and I am absolutely fuck all. I am tiny and confused and furious and bitter and whinging and childlike. I'm grown up, on good days, I'm almost a whole person.

Bad days I'm just a fraction.

I'm high on incense that smoked last night and gave me this goddamn headache. I am Joe's alcohol intolerance. I am indigestion and restlessness. I am constantly on the verge of vomitting. I'm so tense that my shoulders ache, my whole body aches all the time, I'm physically ill with nervousness. I'm terrified and paranoid.

So paranoid that I probably shouldn't even be considering adding weed to this equation. I am the crudest Christian this side of the black apostle in Dogma. I am Joe's occasional blasphemy.

I've started saying 'oh my goodness' instead of 'oh my god'. This morning I woke up with a headache so bad that I couldn't look at the light and I said 'oh my motherfucking goodness'. That's me, summed up in one curse.

Did I mention that I'm hopelessly in love? If I was over dramatic (which of course, I'm not) then I'd say that my entire life has been spent in a time of unrequitedness. I am unrequited. It's not that I don't get what I want because life is unfair or God is unfair, it's because the chances are there, the blessings are there but I miss out on them on account of my being so rubbish at noticing them.

I am Joe's unsent valentine.
I am Joe's dubious imagery.

Did I mention that I can feel again?

I decided to give my life back to God again at the weekend. I decided (as I tend to do) that feeling shit was an altogether rubbish way of living my life. I would spend one of my paltry 24 hours a day in prayer or in study, immersing my whole life in Christ and being healed, inspired and generally refreshed. It lasted til last night, when I stayed awake half the night coming to the slow realisation that it is not possible for one to turn one's life around so quickly, and that to trust in God so wholeheartedly requires a strength of mind that I don't seem to have.

It should be so easy, letting go.

I am Joe's white knuckles.

Whenever I try to surrender, I do it on my own back, because I have realised that I need God so I will let him into my life. Then, I realise that that's not surrender at all, so much as an educated decision. Logically, I know that life is God is better than any other kind of life I've tried, so I decide to try it again. God doesn't want me to give devotion a try, he just wants me to do it, permanently and for real.

Which leads me to think, if I'm still too stubborn to let God in, after all this time, after all this hassle, how much hassle is it gonna take? When the fuck am I gonna figure this out?

I am stupid. I am whinging. I am scared.
I am not very much at all, other than that I know I am.

2 Comments:

At 5:48 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What, exactly, is letting God in? I think it's unrealistic to just decide to let God in any more than you can decide to believe in him, or decide to breathe. God isn't going to care if you need time to do something - some of those prophets had 900+ years and they didn't get it right. You shouldn't think about how much you need to let God into your life when you're obviously doing better with him than most people. Of course, this is coming from someone who isn't Christian, and sees God as someone at her beck and call rather than vice versa.

P.S. It's vomiting, not vomitting. :P

 
At 7:02 pm , Blogger Fi said...

letting god in is accepting that he's in charge - that's the way i see it anyway. it's submission, basically, immersing your whole life in him. practically, for me, that means spending a LOT more time praying and reading the bible so as to hear what he's saying to me and get that funky holy spirit magic working.

i'm not doing better with him than most people because it's not comparable. in my own life, i feel like i'm not doing enough with him, i'm not as close to him as i would like to be.

letting god in is, for me, being vice versa, being at his beck and call, like i promised i would be.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home