Thursday, September 01, 2005

at the pub

Rob says: "As far as I can see, the problem with a lot of religions is this: it's like in that film, Dogma, where the guy says that some religions mourn their faith and other religions celebrate it. The way I see it, most religions have figured out that God is up here-"

He waves his hand at about chest level.

"-And human beings are all the way down here."

He slaps his hand on the table.

"Now. The difference is that some religions see it as oh, dude, what a drag, we're all the way down here and God's all the way up there and we can never measure up to his greatness...shit... Other religions see it as well hang on, we may be all the way down here but there's this guy all the way up there who's on our side and wants to look after us. SWEET!"

Then there's some beer on his part and some cider on my part and we continue.

I say: "The way I see it is that yeah, human beings are probably inherently evil. We're basically inherently a bit rubbish and the point of our existence is to get past that, to become less rubbish. In theory, as society has progressed, we've become less and less rubbish. We're slowly learning not to shit on each other and we've got stuff like charities and the welfare state and Make Poverty History...we're learning to combat our inherent shiteness."

Then we both say: "So that's the point of it then, to be less rubbish. The whole point of life is to go against the part of us that is selfish and me-me-me and try and improve upon what we started with. Like animals. All animals have that self-preservation instinct, the unconscious desire to stay alive as long as possible. That's what makes humans different. We have the choice to go against that instinct and choose to preserve each other instead."

And Rob says something that makes me think: "That's basically what everyone is trying to do. Every religion, every moral code and belief system has been about this - trying to get upwards. Religions are trying to get closer to God. He's up there and we've all kinds of different ladders and shit and we're all trying to shimmy up to reach him. Going against human shiteness is part of that, it's trying to get up there, trying to get somewhere better."

About then, I remember being told that sin is as simple as not doing the right thing. If you could have chosen a more righteous course, you should have, and that's as complicated as it gets. Doing anything that drives you away from God is a sin. Putting anything before God is a sin.

Anything that sends you shimmying the wrong way down that ladder. Anything that pushes someone else down theirs. That's what we're not supposed to do. And I'm like, yeah, that makes sense. There's no such thing as good or bad Christians, just obedient ones. Thanks for that, Rachel.

7 Comments:

At 7:15 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you really think that society is becoming less and less rubbish? really? is it really the point of Christianity to shimmy up a pole closer to God? The way I understand it, I, nor the rest of society, can shimmy myself closer to God by anything I do, no matter how many charities I support or even make up myself, no matter how hard I try. God, and he alone, brings me closer to himself through the work of Jesus Christ. And in parallel, my shimmying actions in life are, or should be, my response to that calling and invitation to be up nearer to where he is. -pete (only logged as anonymous since I can't remember my blogger password!)

 
At 7:27 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's that unanswerable question of "why?- why does he love me, why am I shit but loved as you said?" i'm left with that, knowing I am but not knowing why.

 
At 12:36 am , Blogger Fi said...

hey pete! were both those comments yours?
i think society has improved in the most basic superficial sense - we're slowly learning to look out for each other. i stress the word slowly, we are so far from getting it right, but i like to be optimistic about where we're going as a race ;)

a good point made about shimmying. it's an analogy that only works in a really general way - human beings want to shimmy up the pole, as a rule. as a christian, it's not about trying to get closer to god, that's not the right wording. it's more about removing the things that i put between me and god - his arms, through jesus, are so wide open, but i'm just not running into them yet.

as a side note, i don't think i actually could shimmy up a pole. i've never tried.
good to hear from you, big brother x

 
At 2:50 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Fi,
don't thank me, thank one of my youth leaders Tim, I suppose I should thank him really!

I like Tim's comment, there's nothing we can do to get closer to God, but that's the cool and unique thing about Christianity compared to other religions; we don't need to try in vain to get from the table top to the God at chest level because our God at chest level came down to us at table top level (Jesus right?) and no other faith can say that. Shame for them really, they're shimmying the best they can and respect to them for that but it's pretty futile in itself. :-/

hope you've had a good week! xXx

 
At 10:08 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

He came down to the table, and then he shimmys up the ladders alongside us. Just because we have a relationship, a friendship, with him, made possible through Jesus.
this analagy gets better and better.

 
At 11:22 pm , Blogger Fi said...

"we don't need to try in vain to get from the table top to the God at chest level because our God at chest level came down to us at table top level"

...yeah!

jesus isn't up there waiting for us, he's right beside us on the ladder, he loves us that much that he ain't gonna make us do the journey alone.

sweet. thank you guys, i like where this is going.

xxx

 
At 10:54 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those sentiments are also very much like aspects of buddhism; religion and spirituality shouldn't be about looking for something and trying to achieve something, or trying to please someone, it should be about ensuring we remove all the barriers we put up to being truely happy, or living a moral life, or whatever. Everyone has the ability to be enlightened, just a matter of seeing it and removing the barriers we put up through our lives that go against it.

Kind of the same thing you're talking about with God I imagine, we all have the ability to do the right thing right here right now, we can be close to god, sin is where we put up unnatural barriers which stop us attaining that kind of relationship and subsequently that moral lifestyle. Or something.

I think in our globalised world it's impossible for anyone in the west to really live morally...I still end up eating chocolate that the beans of which will have been picked by an eight year old kid being paid so little that his family are starving, but I never spit the chocolate out in disgust. I'm sure you can thing of a thousand other examples. That's what makes me most angry about our world. I have no choice but to live un-ethical.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home