Sunday, September 11, 2005

the endless summer

I think maybe I write about clubbing too much. Ah well. Have some lists.

Things I learnt at the Ag on Saturday:

1) Some people are stupid enough to burn you with their cigarettes while you're at the bar. Some people even do it on purpose. You might say that cigarette burns are like buses. You go to a club for months and nothing happens and suddenly, two cigarette burns come along at once.

2) Sometimes, playing it classy and just walking away from sleazy blokes isn't enough. Occasionally, after they've groped you, burnt you with their cigarette and licked you on the shoulder by way of apology, it is appropriate just to backhand them around the face and tell them to fuck off.

3) That guy with the tongue piercing really isn't interested in you. Or that girl. Or that other girl. He really is just that much of a slut.

In other news, last night we discovered the Fez Club in Reading, which is officially my new favourite place. It's all done up like a Persian kazbah or something, lamps and candles and beaten brass sinks in the toilets. Nice.

I've been feeling very nostalgic about this summer. I went to the Ag with my bitches for the last time before we all start buggering off to uni on Saturday. The girls will still be around next week but it won't quite be the same. So here's my tribute to this summer and the many many nights out that it has contained.

The Choons, Summer '05 - otherwise known as the songs we listen to in Liz's car, the songs they always play at the Ag and the songs we got on the jukebox in Dublin.

Chemical Brothers, Push the Button - which came on in Subway in Dublin, and we danced.
Hed Automatica, Beating Heart Baby - it took us the entire summer to figure out who sings this song.
System of a Down, B.Y.O.B
Reel Big Fish, Where Have You Been? - our driving to Camberley/Dorset/Reading song.
Jimmy Eat World, Sweetness - singing while dressed as pirates songs.
The Killers, Smile Like You Mean It, Somebody Told Me, Mr Brightside - songs that I passed out during at Reading, songs that made Liz and Stacey cry in Dublin, songs that we changed the lyrics to when we were feeling bitchy...
Foo Fighters, Best of You - song that makes me sad, sounded so good at Reading. "I've got another confessions to make / I'm your fool..."
Rage Against the Machine, Killing in the Name Of - every single person in the Ag sticking their middle fingers up while the DJ takes a photo on his digital camera and everyone screams "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me." Liz and I change the lyrics to "I won't sweep where you tell me" when I'm playing a maid in a play and get pissed off.
Limp Bizkit, Rolling - we just discovered the Fez song, dancing with guys with tongue piercings song, why am I the only one in this club that knows the dance song.
Linkin Park, Faint - I've just arrived at the Ag for the first time and this is the song that plays as I walk in and the heat hits me like a kipper.
Disturbed, Down with the Sickness - dancing is good for you. This song is good for you. It's very good for me.
Marilyn Manson, Beautiful People - of course I disapprove of Marilyn on principle because everyone has to these days. But still: skanking, moshing and getting beaten up at Reading song.
Feeder, Buck Rogers - playing on the jukebox at college over and over song, listening to on the way home from everything song, our anthem song. "We'll start over again / grow ourselves new skins..."
Gorillaz, Sunshine - Dublin song.
Coldplay, Everything's Not Lost - Dublin song, last beautiful moment of group unity and nostalgia before Liz hurled song.
Green Day, Basketcase, Holiday - first year of college anthem, first song I heard at the Ag on my 18th birthday. "This is the dawning of the rest of our lives..."
Sum 41, Fat Lip - dancing with guys song, back when we were at school song. "Don't count on me / 'cos I'm not listening..."
U2, Beautiful Day - crossing the River Liffey listening to Andy's mp3 player with Liz, singing so loud that truck drivers are staring at us song. Gonna be played at my funeral song. Atomic Bomb Moment song.

Atomic Bomb Moments - that moment when an atomic bomb hits, and your world just stops. I always wonder what it would be like to look up and see that bomb hurtling down. What would you do? What would you want to be doing? I personally would like to be screaming the word 'bollocks' (as in life, so in death). But you get these moments in life, points so sweet that an atomic bomb could fall on you right then and end everything and you wouldn't give a shit.

As well as the Beautiful Day moment, there was the lying on the Wellington monument with Liz moment, the listening to Bittersweet Symphony with Ed and Laura moment and so many Insomnia moments.

Faithless, Insomnia - not just because I really can't get no sleep. At the Ag, in the middle, every single person with their hands in the air, the moment when the theme comes in and the world goes crazy. Fuck it. If it's gonna happen, this mass destruction, let it happen then.

1 Comments:

At 11:42 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

What is it about this summer? It's been so cool hasn't it! So many of my mates have said they're having the best summer in ages. Must be something in the air, something to do with an increase in pollution helping everyone to get high and enjoy themselves more? Who knows, but if it is then I'm cancelling my Green Peace membership.
Have a great time back at uni x

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home