Tuesday, September 06, 2005

the first of september

A couple of years ago, before I sat my GCSEs, my mum and I went shopping to Tesco in the middle of a heatwave. It was getting to the tail-end of the wave, the bit right before it breaks and you get that massive thunderstorm.

I was in a shitty mood. I had been for days. Aside from anything else, the heat was really getting to me. I couldn't sleep at night so I'd lie awake listening to Evanescence until I eventually passed out around dawn when I felt cooler. Exam stress was getting to me as well but mainly? I was just mad at everything.

Mum and I were driving back from Tesco and I was complaining about this mood, how I was grouchy and annoyed at the littlest things, how the heat was driving me crazy. And how it had gotten so much worse that day. In a few short hours I'd gone from pissed off to utterly furious for no discernible reason.

As we drove into Yateley, the storm broke. Thunder rolled and sheets of rain came pouring down. And suddenly, I was happy. I was in the best mood, laughing uncontrollably as we hurried to get the shopping in dry. Mum thought it was great, told me I had some weird weather thing going on. I said I just hated heatwaves.

Pathetic fallacy, I think, that literary thing where the action mirrors the weather. Lord of the Flies - incredible heat builds, kids get antsy, the metaphorical storm breaks and BAM, suddenly the thunder's rolling, Simon's dead and Piggy's shitting bricks.

I sat and watched the thunderstorm with Paul last night. I've never been outside for one before. We were walking on the green when it broke and we ran to hide under a tree. We counted the seconds between lightning and thunder to see if it was getting closer.

Aside from the normal life updates, Paul and I tend to talk about one of three things: movies, sex and religion. Thunderstorms call for big and important topics. After we'd exchanged theories on the meaning of life, I mentioned Rob's beer-fuelled theory on religion (if you missed it, see the post called 'at the pub'). Paul wanted to know about DIY religion. Is it OK for people to pick and choose the bits they like and don't like from religions? After all, isn't everyone entitled to the ladder they like best?

Paul's analogy on religion goes like this: Religion is like camping. You can either go camping with the Scouts, or go camping on your own. If you go with the Scouts, you have to follow their rules. You have to eat their food, obey their curfews, not feel up any Girl Guides. If you go camping on your own you can do pretty much whatever you want but you're isolated. When you set fire to your dinner, there's no one to help put it out. Late at night when the heebie jeebies set in, there's nobody to keep you company. Campfire singsongs aren't much fun on yor own.

If you go to a church or mosque or whatever you like, you're obliged to do it their way. If you just pick the bits you like and go camping in your own field, it's tailor made. You get to be outdoorsy and stay up past midnight. All very well. But, my argument was, you can be a Christian without being part of a church if you want to be, but if you're not camping with the boy Scouts, and you're not keeping the boy Scout promise then you're pretty much just a guy in a field with a tent. To be a Scout you have to act like a Scout.

This was supposed to be about thunderstorms, but it kind of makes sense. See, I've been camping on my own recently. I'm still chilling out with the boy Scouts but as far as the way I've been behaving, I'm in a completely different field. Why? Because becoming a good Scout requires time, effort, persistence and dedication. I have none of these things. I'm looking for quick fixes.

Thunderstorms bring out the best in me. Paul and I eventually ended up under the edge of the Tythings, getting soaked from the knees down by the rain ricocheting off the floor. I was standing right under the guttering, flicking my hands through the overflow from the ceiling when I realised that thunder doesn't scare me anymore. I'm just not afraid like I used to be. I mention this to Paul and he says, of course you're not scared, God's got your back.

It's not that bad stuff won't happen to me, I said, I'm as likely to get struck by lightning as you are. It's just that I have nothing to be afraid of.

Well don't you know it, my own personal pathetic fallacy thunderstorm happened today. Too much hot weather has been building up for too long and now it's breaking. All that tension, all that bland muggy heat has turned into absolute floods. My mum reckons my emotions are bound up in the weather. Maybe my inner Literature student just couldn't let this opportunity for a metaphor go by without comment.

Oh, and I know it's not the first of September today. But it's the first time it's happened this September.

5 Comments:

At 11:08 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was talking to a good friend who lives in portsmouth and I ended up feeling pretty down, not that she makes me unhappy, i'm just able to be more honest with her then I am around most people. She was saying how this huge thunderstorm was going off over her head and how amazing it was, and I just desperately wanted the same thing outside my house. An hour later it rolled into view and i spent the next hour in my conservatory lying on the floor watching the whole thing present itself and then move away again. I didn't feel any fundamentally happier but I did feel more satisfied and less frustrated. Storms are up their with stars as some of the best things in the world.

I'm very much with william blake and john stuart mill when it comes to religion. For it ever to work it has to be personal, I think. The values of a religion can only truely said to be believed when someone has come to them out of their own interest, and once they aquire those values their beliefes have to be tested and questioned by others. If we just accept what we're told and have no challenege levelled against it then the belief is ultimately meaningless.

Not that I'm saying if you go to a communal church you aren't truely a christian. If you went to a church and were told exactly 'how to be a christian' and never questioned anything which you came across I'd be more sceptical. Although maybe I have no right commenting since I don't do either, who knows.

 
At 12:43 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it all comes down to choice, I quite like the idea of tayloring your own personal religion with the best bits of all of them. I think it may make more sincere believers out of us all.

Instead of having to adhere to every aspect of one religion -which works well for some people but not for the few who like certain bits and not others - it seems like a fantastic idea to concoct a religion.

EXAMPLE: Would it not be more sincere and honest of me, in illustration, to say i like karma and the idea of your atman being part of this whole cyclical samsara shizzle but i like the christian concepts of heaven and hell and i like the idea of a multitude of gods like in hinduism...i here by invent my own religion called The Order of The Rubber Chicken. I'm being completely serious (except i couldnt think of a serious name).

Is it not better to come up with your own belief system (if you are not 100% satisfied with one aspect or another of other religions) so that at least your faith is sincere and devout?

 
At 3:46 pm , Blogger Fi said...

definitely it's better to be sincere and devout in your own belief system than just faking it in someone else's.

the problem is with labelling. if what you believe is a number of different things that have been drawn from several different religions, there's no label for you, which is fine. it only bugs me when people assume a label like buddhist or christian, without having a proper understanding (or ANY understanding) of what that means.

people who say that they're buddhist because they like to meditate and give to charity, or they're pagan because they bought a purple glittery book from ottakars. eek.

although it depends on the religion. imho, if you say that you accept jesus as saviour but you refuse to look any further at christian doctrine, you're talking out your arse a bit. same with buddha, mohammed, abraham, whoever you like. if you claim to accept that central and key claim of a religion, aren't you putting an obligation on yourself to follow their teachings?

religion definitely does have to be personal. you can only be taught about a religion so far - someone could tell me all that christians believe and i could just mutely accept it, but i think you have to question it for it to be true belief.

or maybe not, i've never been taught anything at church that i haven't questioned before i've accepted. who am i to say whether someone else 'truly' believes. i do know that if you don't question your own faith, sooner or later someone will and it'll be a kick in the balls for you.

storms are one of those weird things in nature that will always have a profound affect on you but you can't really describe what it is.

 
At 1:46 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm afraid i have to dissagree about who is allowed to call themselves 'christian' or 'buddhist' etc. I think people have the right to take a religion and change it and still call it christianity or buddhism, since to them that religion *still is* christianity or buddhism.

That's how religions evolve and change, you look at the differences between therevada and mahayana buddhism, or even the differences between protestantism and catholoicism, and you can see change just happens, and what's more it's positive. God granted everyone free will, fully knowing this would lead to differences of opinion arising in his world. It's the ability to question and to think for ourselves that gives value to the religion. a religion which doesn't allow for change is kinda meaningless.

either way with buddhism it's so so wide ranging and so much more a philosophy then a religion in many ways that change is a natural part of it.

 
At 4:03 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and you mentioning Lord of the Flies in your post inspired me to read it again; I just finished. Thank you! That book is awesome.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home