Monday, May 23, 2005

awkward questions part 1

So, here I am, chilling out on this fine specimen of a Monday evening, eating nectarines and cream and sipping some of 'dat demon Pepsi.

I've discovered this site where atheists get together to talk about religion. I say talk. I say atheists. The majority of atheists I've met in my natural have been as personable as you like, and very tolerant of other's beliefs. These guys have dedicated a website to their intense hatred of religion, mainly Christianity. I started reading, for shits and giggles, and found myself so furious I had to get involved. It's the generalisations that piss me off.

Anyone who believes in Christianity can't think very much... stupid Christians who regurgitate whatever their pastors tell them without even considering why... gay-bashing, abortionist-bombing fundies taking over the world...

Seriously. Give me a break.

So, I went to the comments page, left a comment disagreeing with something one of the site's creators had said about Easter. No one replied, although they did reply to something someone else said ("fucking Christian dumbass!"). I leave another comment. Something to the effect of "come on guys, i'm waiting, prove me wrong, come destroy my faith why don't you?".

Now I'm embroiled in a vicious debate about whether it's possible to disprove the existence of god, whether religious experience can count as objective proof. It's making my head hurt. I think I'm holding my corner, but it's difficult to tell when the person you're arguing with would rather tell you to 'fuck off and die' then tell you if you've made a point. Thus, I can't actally tell if I'm making sense or not, because they'll never concede that I've made sense.

I only went on the site to see how I could hold up under atheist attack. Why can't I get into arguments with grown-ups?

(I put my homepage down, I'm waiting for one of them to come find me here and rip me to shreds.)

The other interesting thing on this site is a questionairre for Christians that poses the nastiest most awkward questions this guy could think of and gives Christians a chance to fill in the boxes and... make their defence, as it were, so to speak. I gave it a try and it was interesting actually, a real challenge. Atheists ask the kind of awful questions that other Christians tend not to, some of it was stuff I'd never had to think about it before.

Again, I think I explained how I see it, I didn't resort to "um woteva jsus luvs you and i'll pray for til you find da lord in yur life!", so they might even take me seriously. Again, I got the horrible feeling I was being tested.

Thought I'd throw this one open, it's the one I took the longest time to think of a response to:

Jesus apparently died for us, facing god's wrath in our place. Why did he have to do this? Why couldn't god forgive us anyway? Why does god - a perfect being - have negative, human-based emotions like anger and wrath? Is not the whole concept absurd?

My answer was something along the lines of - we needed to know a wrathful god before we could appreciate forgiveness.. anger itself is not a negative emotion, it's channeling that anger in the wrong way that's sinful.

I wasn't very clear about it though, because I'm... not very clear about it. So what do you think? Christians, atheists and Meffists alike - what's your opinion on all dat jazz?

Update: Should have posted this originally, the site is www.religionisbullshit.com, content belongs to them not me, any views expressed are theirs not mine... blah blah.

8 Comments:

At 7:36 pm , Blogger Mr and Mrs in iMmoral claWs said...

This is what I think - If we are made in Gods own image, then dont our emotions come from God? Surely he had them first and then passed them on to us - emotions aren't a sin, right? So its not a negative human-based emotion, it's a God-emotion that we have taken on, as humans, for ourselves. So God hated the sin, and God can't meet us in the middle - he's an all or nothing God.

Romans 6: 5-7

5If we have been united with him like this in his death, we will certainly also be united with him in his resurrection. 6For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin— 7because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.

The rest of the chapter is good too. Where did we get the idea of the death penalty? From God - he struck down people in the Old Testament for their sins. And it has continued through the ages, as people took on God's ideas for their own. So the only way out of sin is through death. Because God doesn't and can't love sin, because he wont compromise. God couldn't forgive without us being sorry, and thats where the whole sacrifice idea of the OT comes in. Jesus was our ultimate sacrifice. That's what I think on the whole thing. (BTW, I'm Phils friend Suzanne, incase you weren't sure!)

 
At 6:03 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

there's nothing you can say to them--they hate Christians and that's that. Pretty sad, being motivated by such hatred. They are what they accuse us of being.
so it goes...
http://fromthemorning.blogspot.com
FTM

 
At 10:59 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just for the record, I don't hate Christians, I just find their beliefs (generally) absurd and, in the case of fundamentalists, dangerous.
And I'm not responsible for the comments - some people do go over the top and sound like fundamentalists themselves.

I'll add your repsonse to the questionnaire to my site when I've got a moment - pop back sometime (I get a lot of response to this, but the vast majority falls into the "I'll pray for you you evil sinner who's going to burn for eternity" catagory).

 
At 11:04 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

... oh and when I said you lived just down the road from me, I was being literal (East Dorset to be a bit more precise).
It seemed like an interesting point to make at the time (but I was half pissed)

 
At 11:30 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meffist view:

Personally, I can't see why God shouldn't be a git. And I don't believe in Jesus, so that's kind of moot. Anyway, I just figure that God is like a human with... well, kickarse God powers. He can throw tantrums or interfere or not as he sees fit. And he has favourites (or he just likes to make the world suffer by forcing us to watch the Beckhams). I'm of the opinion that God is an individual, and thus can't cover all bases such as loving everyone. So yes, you unlucky bastards out there: he really does have it in for you.

Maybe I just want to be God. ^^

 
At 11:41 am , Blogger Fi said...

hey suz, thanks for commenting!
yeah i feel the idea about us having god-emotions too, we are angry because god gets angry.
and you can't be forgiven without being sorry first, forgiving someone is a two-party tango, they have to be aware of it, if that makes sense.

hullo again fromthemorning :) i'm pretty certain nothing i say will change anyone's mind, but i'm a masochist, i can't resist doing the sheep among the wolves bit. i guess i think that if one thing i say plants a tiny seed in one person's mind, maybe they'll start to think differently and it'll be worth the aggro. thanks for stopping by.

hullo tim, ya found me! whereabouts in dorset? i have mates down there:) i got confused, thought maybe you were someone i knew from college or something lol.
i'm glad you don't hate christians, the majority of us don't hate atheists either :P and i agree, fundamentalist belief of any kind can be dangerous.
i will pop back, like i say, masochism.
:)

and meffie, i know you want to be god. everybody does. it's quite a job description, truth be told.
i think god is the ultimate personification of 'it's my birthday and i'll cry if i want to' - in the end he IS in charge and that's just the way it is. but i also believe we're lucky because he does care about us. no favourites, just a whole lot of warm fuzzies for anyone that wants them.

but then, i guess that's why i'm a crazy christian and not a meffist ;)

thanks for commenting you sexy beasts! xxx

 
At 3:35 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I guess everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and to express them in whatever ways they see fit (as juvenile and ignorant as we may think they argument to sound).

On the plus side, at least they restrict it to websites instead of hunting all Christians down and ruthlessly culling you all in some genocide of Cambodian proportions! Now that I’ve insulted loads of people (sorry to Cambodian Christians in particular, you got it bad just then!)…I think you get my drift!

If you want to find out if there is any substance in what they say or whether they got brainwashed by some superficial neo-atheist movement then I suppose the only thing you can do is to come back at them with some mondo combo of all the intelligent reasons you can think of in favour of your faith. At least then you can see if there is anyone who can think deeply about it enough to come back at you with a decent answer. That way you could turn it into something intelligent as opposed to a war of insults (which could be fun and you would win hands down no doubt with your copious use of the word ‘motherfucker’!)

 
At 4:21 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.religionisbullshit.net/christianquestion.php#2
(if you're interested!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home